Friday, November 19, 2004

the institute....

I remember passing one street in my home town Makassar. It was twelve years ago and I was so small still, still could not understand what is written in the billboard.
I saw it: Institute for Social Science.
It was just it but I still remember the color of the campus, old campus. Also, the first impression I got: who is going to study here?

Then, in the high school, I remember willing to be in the Cultural Programme in the second grade. It was so a sure for me, tend to be a must! Why? As I planned not to think too much on Physics, Math, Chemistry. All I thought about was about languages,cultures and having much free time, no need to join extra classes after the real class. And my plan after high school graduation was mastering three languages at once: English, Germany and France!. How? by having free time from school, I could take courses. However, there were only two students interested in the programme (me and my 1st best friend who introduced me to the world), so officially, it was cancelled. *How are you doing my friend?*
there I was, joining Physics programme.

Marine Science played very well in my mind after the high school. It would be nice to see the world under there, and to "clean" the bottles, plastics and garbages in the world under there, very simple things. But Geology welcomed me and since then, I showered my campus life with rocks and stones. I was so surprised to be able to communicate with rocks. I even could call their names perfectly. So, it was not a monolog world, very colorful indeed and cheering. I was trained to do things in short time and one of the most valueable things was to learn how to deal with other world. I jumped from one island to another island in Indonesia because of Geology: ranging from high mountain to the lower part of coastal plain.... I am so close to God and nature. Since then as well, I am crazy about conservation. Then, I decided to be a "Malin Kundang", goodbye Geology and welcomed myself to the world of conservation, rare species and things like those.
Exploring the city brought me back to one street I passed when I was in the junior high school. It was still there: Institute for Social Science. then, i thought: why not be a part of it? having a small card with the head of Institute for Social Science: student!
But, my jumping from one island to another island in Indonesia made it imposible to be part of it. It was gone and I got my bachelor of geology. It was forgotten, though was still applied in the real life.

The long dream came at the hand, then I came to Enschede to be in ITC. One institute offering subjects that I avoided when I was at school: I wanted to be a field worker: conserving the natures, monitoring not from a monitor, but interacting with the "rare species" and sleeping with their tracks. The life in here is amost exactly the same as the life I had before in campus. It is so alive and full of great people, figure of bestfriends are found here as well. So once again, social thing is applied.

So, here I am waving with the smile and the less time allocated for my modeling.
I remember the institute on that street. I may reach it later... if my life is still full of spirit like this: to be greedy to be said roughly.
Indeed, I have been doing much social thing but the concept itself, needs sharpening. like the saying that needs sharpening. Too weak to say NO.

It is a life that is alive, and I get the power of life that is alive.

Beltstraat 1-12, a social apartement with small rain outside.
(I should drink wine at this moment)

*Muhy*

So, integration of modeling, social thing and coastal zone, what would that be?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home