Saturday, November 27, 2004

SLARIM DAY: Strengthening Local Authorities in Risk Management

Dear all,

I would like to thank those of you that have send me a reply. All presentors have confirmed, so the programme can be held according to the plan.
The meeting will be held in room 0-142. Lunch will be provided.

After the meeting you are invited for some drinks and food in my house. The address is Springendalhoek 5, 7546 GS Enschede. Tel. 4764569 Mobile: 06 48863452
You are welcome as from 6 o'clock onwards for some drinks. How to get to my house: take bus line 2 (Helmerhoek) and get off at the Oorthuishoek (see map), then you have to walk for about 5-10 minutes to reach my house. During the meeting tomorrow I will circulate a paper so that I know for how many people to cook.

The final programme for the meeting is given below.

The main objective of the meeting is to get feedback on your research from fellow students, Phd researchers and ITC staff members, interested in the same field of risk assessment. So try to focus in your presentation on the research questions, the methodology and the preliminary results. See you tomorrow.

Cees van Westen

Draft programme for the SLARIM day on Friday November 26:

ROOM 0-142
9.15 - 9.45: Opening and overview presentation Cees van Westen. Overview of SLARIM project, website structure, output.

9.45 - 10.15: First session: User needs assessment

- Presentation and discussion, PhD research Gabrielle Iglesias
10.15 - 10.45: Coffee break
10.45 - 12.30: Second session: Seismic & Landslide Hazard and risk assessment
- Presentation and discussion: PhD research work Carolina Sigaran: Empirical relations from 2-D and 3-D topographic and geotechnical effects on soil response
- Presentation MSc work Rajendra Khanal: Seismic Hazards Mapping and Geological Database Generation, using low cost GIS tools in Kathmandu Valley, Central Nepal.
- Presentation MSc research work Pratima Singh (India): Methodology for integration of Seismic (Population and Building) Loss Estimation using GIS with Community Based Approach for Earthquake Preparedness
- Presentation and discussion: Gustavo Arciniegas (Colombia). Use of Radar Interferometry with Envisat imagery for earthquake damage assessment in Bam.
- Presentation and discussion: PhD research work Enrique Castellanos: Spatial landslide risk assessment in Cuba.

12.30 - 13.30: Lunch (PROVIDED)

13.30 - 15.00: Third session: Vulnerability assessment
- Presentation and discussion: PhD research work Veronica Botero: Spatial Data Infrastructure for Vulnerability Assessments in Urban Systems
- Presentation and discussion: PhD research work Sophia Woodcock
- Presentation and discussion: MSc research work Hastings Shamaona

15.00 - 15.30: Tea break

15.30 - 17.00: Fourth session: Flood hazard and Risk Assessment

- Presentation: Muhibuddin Muhy (Indonesia). Flood hazard assessment using flood models for different scenarios.
- Presentation: Alemseged Tamiru Haile (Ethiopia). Flood modeling using SRTM and Lidar for the Tegucigalpa region in Honduras
- Presentation and discussion: PhD research work Graciela Peters & MSc research work Mafe Reganit and Milagros Monnroy. Flood vulnerability and capacity analysis in Naga.

18.00 - Drinks and food in house of Cees van Westen (Springendalhoek 5)

___________________________________________________________________________


I received the email on monday 22nd of november. I was like, Oh my God, another presentation??? I knew it would be not like usual, as all the project teams will be there to share, to criritize and to add some points to do. Good if we are not asked to modify the structures or the methodologies we are applying and planning to apply.
I met my supervisor on tuesday and he said not to worry, as it is just to share what we are doing and to show people that we are not on the wrong track.
Ok...then, I forgot it until thursday 25th, when I started to modify my mid-term presentation and saved it under the file name: Muhy_SLARIMday.ppt.
I added some pre-modelling results and analysis and removed some slides. And, on Friday 26th, at 2.00 AM, the presentation was finished, but not yet practised...

On the 26, the SLARIM Day itself, I felt like having a small defence of the thesis. The staffs attended the Slarim Day are most people I hadn;t met before, and I can see that they are all critical and talk so much about the work we are doing... After seeing the first presentation, I was a bit nervous... It was a defence!!! But I managed to be calm as I am sure that I am not on the wrong track.. And there I am, finished the presentation at 4 pm... and no important changes are to made for my structure...

After the presentation, we went straight to the house of Cees Van Westen, the principal investigator of SLARIM Project. the food was so international and I got close with the sons of Cees and we played Chess. I was beaten by the 7-year old boy and his brother: a 2nd grade High school student. Then, we played DAM.. and with Gaby, one son of Van Westen, Norman Herle, and me, we played LUDO... So long.. it was an old memory that came back.. and I was the winner.

SLARIM DAY, it was what a day!

7511 JZ Enschede, saturday 27 November 2004


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home