Thursday, January 13, 2005

HUMAN or MONEY-tarian?

05:12 PM
...The Tone of Mexican Hat dance...

X: Good afternoon, this is Marry (spelling?) calling from XXX Headquarters in Bonn. Can I speak to ME (mentioned my real name in a poorly pronounced manner)?

M: yes, This is ME speaking (well-pronounced!)

X: This is Marry from XXX Headquarter in Bonn. I am calling to let you know that we already received your application, reviewed it and therefore we want to ask you some questions.

M: Yes, I did send the application.

X: We reviewed it carefully and found out that you meet our qualifications for the position. However, still we want to ask you some questions. is it a good time for you to answer some simple questions?

M: Yes, It is.

X: Okay, have you had experiences in managing group of people from different backgrounds?

M: Yes, I have. bla bla bla ... bla bla bla (selling myself!)

X: That sounds good. What about GIS-based participatory mapping?

M: Well, I did some mappings during my undergraduate study, including community particatory mappings. However, most of them dealing with xxxxx. But I think all as the same thing as only the objects would be different. In other words, the techniques are all the same. Frankly speaking, GIS-based participatory, I have no experiences but I am using GIS nowadays and I used to do one GIS-based xxxx xxxx mapping (include the community depending on the coast). Same as previous, only the objects would be different, techniques would be the same. And in my opinion, we call it GIS-based if we can store the result into GIS system and analyze the result using GIS. That kind of thing is not new for me, or I can say I can do that.

X: This position requires you NOT to do mappings but to manage mapping. How do you see this job?

M: One can not manage one thing before knowing the basic root of that thing. Managing mapping requires experiences in doing mappings itself. However, though having experiencing in mappings, one can not for sure be able to manage mappings. It needs other skills to manage. And I am confidently saying that I have the skills in managing people or mappers, to be exact. (HAHAHAHAHA in my heart)

X: Very good answer.

X: This is not interview, but a pre interview. Can you be in our office in Bonn on this coming monday morning 17 January? Travel expenses and other standard facilites; I can say standard; for intervew are provided, for your information.


.........silent for some seconds..........

M: Well, I have to tell you that this is a very short notice and I also have some plans for the coming week. Shall I just inform you tomorrow by email?

X: Then, let me call you tomorrow. What is the best time for me to call you?

M: anytime, but not from 12-2 in the afternoon.

X: Then, thank you for your time and see you tomorrow by phone.

M: You are welcome. Bye. (to night will be a hard time, as I have to think!)

05:41 PM, ITC's Laptop Cluster
Sometimes when it comes, you are confused. Bonn is too far from here, usually, it is not!

Then under the label of UN, I am thinking that that is not humanitarian, only money-tarian...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fitripitri:
bravo muhy! sugoii, muhy-san!

7:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes, or most of times, a mind travel futher than a sight. you can always think of what would happen, it can be what will really happen but not always.
i, of course, am proud that you're shortlisted for interviews.. also proud that you have a courage to reject.
but some questions remain... you didn't go for an interview, because your fear of being accepted? (nothing is absolute, right? there's a chance of being un-accepted too) and rejecting the job before it actually really comes to make you feel better? because if it's sure that you are accepted it'll be harder for you to decide?
oh, do I just complicate things for you, my friend?
sorry, i just want to tease your brain.. and perhaps your mind...
congratulations for being you.. i admire that most from you.
-- i think you know who i am --

9:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home